Thursday, January 14, 2010

Swiss Steak

I think this may be Jeff's fav comfort food! And I say that because whenever he asks me whats for dinner and I reply (with a smile on my face!) "Swiss Steak", he always says the same thing: "Mmmm...comfort food; sweet"! Plus, whenever I make Swiss steak I always think of my Dad. He used to make it for us a lot. I loved it, Chad hated it.

Swiss Steak
2-4 packages of cubed steak
6-8 potatoes
2 cans of diced tomato's
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
3T vegetable oil
3T flour
salt/pepper
garlic salt
small onion, sliced

Peel, boil potatoes. When potatoes are done, leave them in the hot water and turn the heat off. Slice the cube steak into strips. Season with salt, pepper, garlic salt. Heat oil in deep pan or electric skillet (this is what I use!) and when hot add the meat. Sear the cube steak on both sides, then remove from skillet. Add the sliced onions to the skillet. Cook for 1-2 min then add the flour and cook until slightly browned. Immediately add the tomato's and tomato sauce to the skillet, then the water. Transfer the meat back into the skillet and cover. Simmer for 20 min. While meat is stewing, drain and mash potatoes. Serve the meat, tomato mixture over the mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment